• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MME4CRT2SCART
I'd like to propose a project for an official cable for a MME4CRT setup.
I've been working on quite a few PCB projects in EAGLE in the last decade and would like to contribute to MME4CRT with this.
(If everything works out, maybe the final thing could be sold here, we'll see...)

There are quite a few options to connect your PC to a CRT Television or Monitor, but my personal opinion is that none of them is really able to perform a seamless transformation from a PC to a videogame console... either you need a separate PSU or you end up with bulky scart-to-scart leads (or at least monstrous cable-beasts that carry video signals, sound and power in separate leads). Last but not least I think none of the available options are cost-efficient for the end-user.

In the past I came up with an idea - I integrated a small PCB inside a SCART connector which can hold many different parts depending on whatever the purpose may be.

(The following links to a page in German, sorry, but you can see many pictures of the progress)
https://circuit-board.de/forum/index.php...er-Boards/

[Image: 20150209_231045.jpg]

I will design 2 circuit boards that will feature everything to get the best possible visuals, audio and all the voltages that your TV requires to switch into RGB mode and enable 4x3 non-letterboxed format. The first PCB will go inside a little case and has inputs for USB, VGA and Audio. The second PCB will be situated in the SCART connector to ensure an easy assembly.

Setup could be like this:
PC -> (short cables) -> little box with inputs -> (Scart or BNC cable) -> [TV or Monitor]

Here's my feature list:
  • Open-Source Design: Build your own or buy one, whatever suits your budget without losing any features
  • Properly shielded cables
  • H/V Sync-combiner-circuit for true C-Sync output
  • 0.7 Vpp @75 Ohms within specs of what any TV expects to receive
  • Separate Audio-Ground for noise-free sound
  • StepUp-Converter to provide 12V for switching to 4:3 mode (Scart-Pin#16)
  • Optional proper Stereo/Mono conversion, switchable (nice2have if your TV only has mono)
  • Inputs:
    VGA -> Video
    USB -> 5V Power
    3.5mm Headphone -> Stereo Audio

• Outputs:
    9-Pin MiniDIN to Scart
    -> R, G, B, C-Sync, Audio-L, Audio-R, Audio-GND, 5V Power, GND
    VGA Connector with switchable SYNC (H/V or C-SYNC)
    -> to be used with a VGA-to-BNC cable (for professional studio monitors like Sony PVM etc.)
    Extra Audio connectors via CINCH
  • 15KHz Lock Mode (disables the output if the signal is out of range)

So, this is it.
I'd like your feedback about the feature list and any other ideas and wishes are welcome.

There's no release schedule or masterplan until I start working on it and report some progress.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

It sounds good to me. It is defiantly something worth advertising here as it is an essential part of getting PC emulation onto a CRT?

I like the idea that you can follow a guide to build your own, Open source is a very important thing here, However, I am sure there are people out there who either lack the necessary skills to do so or just don't have the time. So, selling pre-build kits would also be a good Idea.

Keep me posted on you progress.

One thing that will be added to MME4CRT is CSYNC output directly from your PC video card. This is only possible with ATI GPUs ATM. So, you might need to have relay trigger the two possible SYNC signals cumming out of the PC. Csync from ATI card is sent using pin 13 on the VGA connector.
MME4CRT Founder / Developer. 

PayPal   YouTube   Alphanu Game Studios

(03-20-2019, 04:36 PM)alphanu Wrote: One thing that will be added to MME4CRT is CSYNC output directly from your PC video card. This is only possible with ATI GPUs ATM. So, you might need to have relay trigger the two possible SYNC signals cumming out of the PC. Csync from ATI card is sent using pin 13 on the VGA connector.

Good point, thanks.
I will integrate an appropriate logic for that.