• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linux: using xrandr to display only a segment of the screen
Since I moved pretty much all my retrogaming/emulation activity to linux, I see and learn new things every day...

Yesterday I came across this post:
https://www.reddit.com/r/crtgaming/comme..._on_a_pvm/

I had no idea xrandr was able to feed a predefined segment of a video-output to a monitor.

Code:
xrandr --output VGA1 --scale-from 320x240 --pos 1x1

With my intel GPU I'm using Super Resolutions (mostly 2560x240) and often times I see the output-image is scaled out of proportions when running apps like desktops, emulationstation gui, scummvm etc.

What I did is switching to a super resolution and then run the proposed code to correct the issue.
I was excited to realize that it worked out of the box and the image on my crt looked great.

Now I guess there has to be a drawback using this method - there's got to be, because nobody would use super resolutions instead, right?
Could it be that this method may cause vsync and/or tearing issues?
Since I only tested it with mostly static scenarios like scummvm, maldita castilla for linux and the lxde desktop I haven't seen any issues.

So, let me rephrase the question...
If I was able to create a perfect 320x240@60Hz (or ANY other!) output on my crt with this method, why would I bother to use super resolutions?

I think a super resolution is only needed in the first place to prepare the canvas in terms of height.. Using the segmented output I could create any width I could think of. I have to admit, I have no idea how refresh rates are handled within this concept.

Maybe I'm wrong about this - could somebody please enlighten me?

Messages In This Thread
Linux: using xrandr to display only a segment of the screen - by ArcadeTV - 03-07-2019, 02:52 PM